AP UNIT 1 TEST 2ND QUARTER ESSAYS
1. Explain the role of the anti-federalists in the ratification process of the new constitution. Give specifics on the anti-federalist positions from the handout, Wilson and Lasser to support your answer.
2. What problems did Hamilton point out concerning government under the Articles of Confederation? Give specifics from Federalist #15, #16, #21, #22 to support your answer. (bullets)
3. AP QUESTION - REQUIRED - According to the arguments raised in The Debate on the Constitution, the Constitutional Convention "charted the course of the bloodless revolution that created the government of the United States and the world's oldest working national charter." Using the Federalist Papers and Anti-Federalist Papers and your knowledge of United States politics and government:
a. Explain how the authors of the Federalist Papers and Anti-Federalist Papers differed over the character of the
b. Illustrate the Federalist position regarding the creation of one of the branches of government and explain
whether the vision of the Federalists has been achieved by looking at government today.
4. Explain the problems that face modern constitutional amendment advocates. Use a current proposal to amend the constitution along with specifics from Wilson on the amendment process to illustrate your answer.
5. Explain the changes made to the Constitution during the “Constitutional Convention” for your class. Provide the reasoning with the changes.
6. AP QUESTION - REQUIRED - “The Founding Fathers...were impelled by class motives...but they were also controlled…by a statesmanlike sense of moderation and a scrupulously republican philosophy”
Assess the merits of this statement with reference to all of the following: the politics of the Constitutional Convention in 1787, the specific provisions of the Constitution, and the general structure of the government established by the Constitution. (AP test question 1987 - 45 minute question) Provide specifics from Wilson and Lasser to support your answer.