AP GOVERNMENT UNIT 1 TEST ESSAYS 3RD QUARTER
1. Explain the controversies concerning the Electoral College. Include specifics on: 1. How the system works 2. The chief political effects and 3. the pros and cons of changing the system
2. Explain the "Article II powers" of the President along with the President's "elastic clause" to carry them out. Also explain the greatest source of presidential power NOT found in the Constitution.
3. “The power of the bureaucracy depends on the extent to which appointed officials have “discretionary authority "….
Explain the meaning of this statement along with the three ways Congress has delegated authority to the bureaucracy. Also
explain the four factors that explain how officials use this authority.
4. AP Question (required) The concept of iron triangles, also referred to as subgovernments, is used to explain how various
interests influence public policy. Applying this concept to agriculture, briefly identify the key players in the iron triangle,
analyze how they interact to achieve policy goals, and evaluate the impact of this iron triangle on the democratic process.
(AP Question 1995)
5. AP Question (required) In the 1970s, in order to limit the power of the President and to reassert congressional authority in the
policy-making process, Congress passed the following:
The War Powers Act - The Budget and Impoundment Control Act
Briefly describe the provisions of each of these two legislative acts. Evaluate the extent to which each act has affected the
balance of power between the presidency and Congress in the 1990’s. (AP question 1998)
6. AP Question (required) Is Congress effective in exercising legislative oversight of the federal bureaucracy? Support your
answer by doing ONE of the following:
Federal bureaucracy (AP test question – 1999