AP UNIT TEST 3 ESSAYS 1ST QUARTER
1. Explain the difference between "institutional" and "membership" interest groups. In your answer, provide the following:
Give specifics from Wilson, Lasser and class to support your answer.
2. …the relationship between journalism and politics is a two-way street: politicians take advantage of
the media and the media use politics and politicians….(Wilson)
What role does the media play in American politics? Give specifics from your summer reading book
on the media to support your answer.
3. Explain how the three major roles of the national media are illustrated by the three kinds of stories used by the media. Give specifics from Wilson and class to support your answer.
4. AP TEST QUESTION (REQUIRED) In the 1990's presidential election campaigns have become more candidate centered and less focused on issues and party labels. This change has been attributed both to how the media cover presidential campaigns and to how candidates use the media. Identify and explain two ways in which the media have contributed to candidate-centered presidential campaigns. Identify and explain two ways in which presidential candidates' use of the media has contributed to candidate-centered campaigns. (AP Test Question - 1999)
5. AP TEST QUESTION (REQUIRED) National interest groups often target national-level policymaking institutions to achieve their policy objectives. Select one of the following national interest groups.
- American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) - American Medical Association (AMA) -
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) - National Association
Of Manufacturers (NAM) -
For the group you selected do each of the following.
a. Identify one major national-level policymaking institution that this group targets.
b. Describe one resource or characteristic of the group you have chosen AND explain how it
influences the choice of the target you have identified in (a).
c. Describe another resource or characteristic of the group you have chosen AND explain how it
influences the choice of the target you have identified in (a). (AP Test Question - 1999)