Historical Markers in Mississippi - Continued
The marker is erected in the Bicentennial Garden at Rosalie overlooking the area of Old Fort Rosalie. The marker is located near the site of a tobacco warehouse that stood in the environs of the original Fort Rosalie area. Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi.
"FORT ROSALIE On bluff to south stood Fort Rosalie, established by the French in 1716. Became nucleus of settlements from which the Mississippi Territory was founded. Near this marker stood the French warehouse that was a center of bloodshed during the Natchez Massacre of 1729.
Dedicated December 11, 1988 by Mississippi State Soceity Daughters of the
American Revolution. Mrs. D. Kelly Love, State Regent."
Marked: 11 December 1988 -- MSSDAR
This marker was located on Canal Street at the rear of Rosalie at one time. Was stolen and the Galvez marker was placed at this site. Later the marker was found in Lousiana and returned to Rosalie, where it is in storage.
"FORT ROSALIE Site located on these bluffs by D'Iberville, 1700. Fort established for French by Bienville, 1716. French settlers massacred by Natchez Indians, 1729. Renamed Ft. Panmure by British, 1763." Marked: 1951 -- Mississippi Historical Commission Marker.
The flag pole was placed on the site of Old Fort Rosalie. The site of old Fort Rosalie was where the American flag was first officially raised on Mississippi soil, March 30, 1798, by Captain Issac Guion, this being the final relinquishment of this territory to the United States from the Spanish government.
The Mississippi Soceity Daughters of the American Revolution commemorated this event by the raising of the Stars and Stripes on this spot April 5, 1918.
For Rosalie lies immediately behind "Rosalie" on the summit of the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River.
The Rumble sisters lving in the mansion, Rosalie, maintained the Flag Pole and the area until their deaths. it was assumed they had deeded this land to MSDAR, but they had not, so the Flag Pole was sold as part of the estate. In 1963 the Pole was removed.
Marked: 5 April 1918 -- MSSDAR
Located on Canal Street beside the antebellum home "Rosalie", Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi.
"Don Bernado de Galvez, Spanish Governor of Louisiana 1776-1783. In a brilliant campaign, with the aid of regular troops, militia volunteers and a few Americans, captured Baton Rouge from the Bristish on September 21, 1779. Terms included the surrender of Fort Panmure in Natchez, which was occupied by Spanish troops on October 5, 1779. The signing of the Treaty of San Lorenzo on October 27, 1795, ended Spanish control of Natchez. Dedicated october 29, 1985, by the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, Mrs. William Edwin O'Hare, State Regent."
Marked: 29 October 1985 -- MSSDAR
Marker located on U. S. Highway 80 West, at corporate limits.
"JACKSON Began as LeFleur's Bluff. Chose as state capital in 1821 and named for Andrew Jackson. First legislature met here in 1822. Street plan based on design originated by Jefferson." State Historical Commission Marker.
Marker located at 312 South Huntington Street, Kosciusko, Attala County, Mississippi.
"KOSCIUSKO "Redbud Springs" in Indian days. Later named for Polish-American patriot. Chartered in 1836. On Natchez Trace near geographical center of state. Trade activity gave it title, 'Beehive of the Hills.' "
Marked: 1950 -- Samuel Hammond Chapter
The marker was located in 1943 at the intersection of Highway 80 and Highway 49. In 1976 the city of Jackson moved the marker to a tourist center at the intersection of JeffersonStreet and Pascagoula Street. A replica cabin of the period was constructed on the site and called LeFleur's Bluff Trading Post. In 1985 the cabin was moved to the Agriculture and Forestry Museum. In 1989 the marker was moved by private citizens at their own expense to its present location in LeFleur's Bluff State Park in Jackson.
On th east side the marker reads: "This monument marks LeFleur's Bluff where General Thomas Hinds, William Latimore, and Peter VanDorn, commissioners appointed by the Mississippi Legislature in 1821, met to locate a seat of government to be called and known by the name of Jackson in honor of General Andrew Jackson, commander of the American Forces at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8th, 1815, President of the United States, 1821-1832."
On the north side it reads: "The conservation of history raises and ennobles a civilization. Dunbar Rowland"
On the south side it reads: "Here Louis LeFleur, a Frenchman, established a trading post during Indian occupancy on the high bluffs of the Pearl River which became known as LeFleur's Bluff. He served with Pushmataha under General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812, and aided in keeping the Choctaw Nation loyal to the United States. He married Rebecca Cravat, a Choctaw maiden."
Erected in 1943 by the Ralph Humphreys Chapter DAR.
It should be noted that there exists no information to denote the exact site of LeFleur's Bluff, other than its being on the Pearl River, near what is now Jackson. Elbert Hilliard, Director of the Department of Archives and History, has informed this writer that George Armistead, a Jackson land surveyor who is now deceased, used the original land surveys to conclude that the LeFleur's Bluff site was located along JeffersonStreet just north of the Wilson Bridge the crosses the Pearl River. Mr. Hilliard has also pointed out that other accounts place LeFleur's Bluff at the site of the Old Capitol and at Rose's Bluff further up the Pearl.
Metal tablets of the metal from the Battleship Maine located at the University of Mississippik, Oxford, Lafayette County, and at the department of Archives and History at the Old State Capitol Building, Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi. The plaque which is described as being at the Department of Archives and History is catalogued in the collections of the Old Capitol Museum of Mississippi History (Accession Number 62:359).
Marked: April 1914 -- David Reese Chapter
Marker is located at the intersection of HIghway 82 and Carrollton Road, Carroll County, Mississippi.
"MALMAISON Northwest 9 miles is site of plantation mansion of Greenwood LeFlore, chief of Choctaws, statesman and planter. Home burned, 1942. His grave is near the site."
Marked: 1949 -- Chakchiuma Chapter
The bronze marker is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of U.S. Highway 45-A and Old West Point Road on the west and Tibbee Road on the east.
MAYHEW MISSION Near town of Mayhew, set up by Presbyterians under Cyrus Kingsbury of Massachusetts in 1818. This was one of first Protestant missions to the Choctaw Indians in Mississippi." Mississippi Historical Commission Marker
Marked: 1949 -- Hic-A-Sha-Ba-Ha Chapter
Tablet mounted on the brick wall that sounds the rear gardens of Rosalie at Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi, in honor of those who served on the U.S.Battleship MISSISSIPPI.
"In honor of Mississippi men who served on the U.S.S. MISSISSIPPI." There is also a bell engraved "U.S. S. MISSISSIPPI 1917".
(Complete list of names in The History of the Mississippi State Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1896--1996)
Marked: March 21, 1958 -- Fort Rosalie Chapter
Buried at Rosalie Mansion, Natchez, Adams County, Mississippi, containing over 30 articles such : lists of chapters, pictures, activities, etc. Sealed -- to be opened in 2076.
Marked: 1976 -- MSSDAR
to the Hainaut-Louisiana website.
Offical DAR Mississippi Site.
[[DAR Mississippi Index]
The DAR Insignia is the property of and copyrighted by the National Society Daughters of The American Revolution."