- EmuMail is a great way to check your
E-mail from a web connection, particularly if your connection is slow.
- ICQ (I Seek You) is an awesome
little service (currently free and in beta and not so little any more)
that allows subscribers to locate each other online, notify on login,
and initiate chats & file transfers.
- NetMeeting is a
cool "chat" program that includes text, a "whiteboard," audio, video,
and sharing applications.
- Pegasus Mail - A really
good, free E-mail program.
Here's a somewhat random collection of Web sites that I find
particularly interesting or useful for life outside the Web.
- Generally useful, whoever and wherever you are
- AT&T Toll-Free Phone Directory
- "white pages" and "yellow pages" formats.
- CityNet - Links to countries,
regions, and cities around the world.
Washington has a few nice web sites, such as the
DC Pages and
- Dining Out on the Web
- Has a nice geographic listing.
- eBay - Online Auction site. This
one is my favorite so far. They seem to have the biggest selection
and a cool trust/feedback "honor system" for minimizing scams and
- Internet Travel Network - All
sorts of travel info, and you can even make reservations.
- Maps! - Interactive, multi-scale, fast, and flexible.
- MapBlast has the most
accurate and detailed data that I've seen.
- MapQuest apparently covers
most of the world. And it's the most flexible service I've found.
- Maps On Us has the best
integration with Yellow Pages and personalization that I've seen.
- Planet Earth Home
- PointCast Network - an amazing
little screen saver (and then some!) that constantly gives you updated
news, weather, sports, stock quotes, etc.
- SureTrade - My favorite online
discount brokerage, although I haven't tried many. Very cheap and
decent terms overall.
- White Pages - Find anyone, anywhere.
- Four11 - search for E-mail or
postal addresses, phone numbers, and even internet phone
- Switchboard - search
for people and businesses across the United States.
- Yahoo! Finance - Free stock/fund
quotes and other investment information. There are a ton of online
investment sites now, but this is my favorite.
Lookup - gives you a 9-digit Zip-Code for any address.
- More specific to me and my interests
It isn't the same as visiting in person, but it's still impressive.
- Lists of Museums
- My Favorites