THE GOLDEN LANCE AWARD
Campus and University Law Enforcement Agencies across the country have traditionally been bypassed by mainstream law enforcement agencies as not being their professional or experiential equals, due to the perceived roles of campus officers. Yet, in ever increasing numbers, at educational institutions across the nation, Campus and University Police Officers and their agencies have become more professionalized through standardized training, increased duties, and changing perceptions of their role in the Law Enforcement Community. In many instances, they work side-by-side with their municipal, county, and state counterparts to compliment Community-Oriented-Policing efforts, with several Campus Agencies being responsible for maintaining either Regional Police Training Facilities, 911-Emergency Dispatching Centers, or both. From California to New York; Ohio to Texas; Local and State Police Officers; Campus and University Police Officers; all the same behind the badge.
The Golden Lance Award is an effort to both promote and emphasize the efforts of these agencies and their personnel, as well as to say "Thank You", to those agencies which actively support and promote the concept of full law enforcement authority for Campus and University Police.
Award CriteriaTo obtain approval to display the personalized award , the following criteria must be met. ALL nominated sites must comply with the first TWO SPECIFICALLY REQUIRED () items to be considered.
- The site must provide specific references to Campus and University Law Enforcement sites on the World Wide Web. The mere fact of being a Campus or University Law Enforcement agency will not qualify without links to other agencies of the same type. (This is an award which honors our fellow campus agencies and we, ourselves, must promote them to the fullest extent possible. Qualifying links considered are the Campus Law Enforcement Resource Page or links to campus agencies in your general or specific state/region).
- YOUR SITE MUST BE NOMINATED BY A MEMBER OF A CAMPUS OR UNIVERSITY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY
- Sign the Lance Guest Book featured on the Index page of this site
- The site must present Campus Law Enforcement in a positive perspective
- The site should openly support the acceptance of Campus and University Police Officers as members of the Traditional Law Enforcement Community
- The site must be that of a law enforcement agency or organizational site managed with the consent or knowledge of the agency's administrators; or
- A site specifically dedicated or related to Campus and University Law Enforcement issues
Nominations for the AwardTo submit a site for nomination, send the following information, by email only, to the Golden Lance Award Committee, with "Golden Lance Award" inserted into the Subject line. The person submitting the site for review MUST BE A MEMBER OF A CAMPUS OR UNIVERSITY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.
Once the site has been reviewed, normally within 48-hours, the Site Manager of the Awarded Site will be notified by email, along with receiving the new personalized award graphic.
- Name or Title of the Web Site being nominated
- Contact Name of the site manager
- Email Address of the site manager for award notification
- Your Email Address, if you wish to be notified
- Name of the Campus or University Law Enforcement Agency you are employed by
The location of sites found displaying either the Award or Banner inappropriately or those which no longer meet the award criteria will be posted.
Awarded sites will receive both the animated graphic and the static .jpg for display, each of which is personalized.