Genealogy for Roberts family
This is our supposed coat of arms. Ronzo Roberts sent
a request to a company which did some research and this is what they
came up with.
Last update 2-28-05
Roberts is old germanic. "Ro" means fame, "bert" means bright. So I
guess it means "fame bright", or "shining fame?" Roberts also came from
the time of William the Conqueror. It came from a Viking word meaning
'robbers' because the vikings came and plundered England. Eventually the
name became 'Roberts/Robards/Robberds'.
The surnames in this file are:
The family tree below seems to be accurate. It is listed in the book by
Seaver called Roberts Family History. I had to guess that Randall (b.
1704) was the son of Thomas (b. 1674).
- Rev. Thomas Roberts (b. 1590, co Cork, IRE, d. 1664) Seaver B111
m. Dorothy Boyle (Turner) (b. 1590, Tuam, IRE)
- Francis Roberts (b. 1644, m. 1668, d. 1696)
m. 1668 Anne Bustead
(Not sure if Randal below is son, grandson or further. If Randal married at age 20, he would be born 1651, putting Francis at age 7. That does not fit. Perhaps Randal and Francis are brothers.)
- Randal Roberts (m. 1671, d. 1719) Seaver B112
m. 1671, Martha Hodder
- Thomas Roberts (b. 1674) Seaver B113
m. 1698 Jane Hodder
- Randall Roberts (b. 1704, Brightsfieldtown, Co Cork, IRL)
m. 1734 Martha Westropp (below)
It is not sure how Randal (one "L") is related to Thomas, but the Seaver book says
Randal is related Francis, not that Randal (one "L") is the son of Francis. The dates make sense that Randall (two "L"s) is the son of Thomas.
This is interesting because http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nrv/Paula_Anderson-Green.htm says Randall and Martha immigrated to Pennsylvania, then their son John moved to NC.
Randall Roberts (b. 1704, Brightfieldstown, co Cork, Ireland, m. 1734) per Seaver "Roberts" book.
- m. 1734, Martha Westropp
- John Roberts (b. c1735, Brightsfield Town, County Cork, IRL, liv. 1755,
Surry Co, NC, d. May 23, 1808, Surry Co, NC) (We're not sure that this John was the son of Randall and Martha.)
- m. 1755 Elizabeth in Surry Co, NC (b. c1734, Surry Co, NC, d. aft May 21, 1817, Surry Co, NC)
- 1700s: John Sr came over to VA about 1740 with his son William. On a hunting trip to Grayson Co, William became ill and decided to settle in Grayson Co,
- 1755: on Surry Co, NC tax list.
- 1764: The brig Freemason, arrived December 27, 1764, from city Cork, co
Cork, Ireland to Boston, Suffolk co,
Mass. A John Roberts was travelling with Edward Moor. (This is probably a different
- 1782: In 1782 Grayson Co, militia list. Probably a different John as our John died in Surry Co, NC.
- m. 1788 Susan Pettus (m. 1788, VA, per Yates file)
- William Roberts (b. Feb 7 1770, Surry Co, NC, d. c Apr 1838, Grayson Co, VA)
- m. c1791 Mary Elizabeth Davis (had 7 children)
- m. Oct 30, 1806 Lydia Lewis (had 7 children)
- 1800: William on 1800 Grayson Co tax list.
- I. Jonathan Roberts (b. May 13, 1807 per Grayson history book. )
- 1828: Jonathan married Matilda Perkins (b. Aug 13, 1810, Grayson Co, VA, m. Jun 24, 1828, Grayson Co, VA, d. Jul 10, 1894, Grayson Co, VA)
First son of Lydia Lewis. Jonathan was first Roberts to settle in
Roberts cove in Grayson Co, VA. (per email@example.com)
- A. Wiley Winton Roberts (male, b. Jan 17, 1841, Grayson Co, VA, m. Narcissus Orr, d. 1937, Grayson Co, VA) per firstname.lastname@example.org
- Adam Beatty Roberts (b. Aug 13, 1868, Grayson Co, VA, m. Bess Jennings, d. 1936, Grayson Co, VA)
- Wiley Winton Roberts (b. Jul 24, 1904, Grayson Co, VA, m. Valla Russel, d. 1964, Grayson Co, VA)
- B. David Fielding Roberts (b. Aug 10, 1836, Grayson Co, VA, d. Aug 8, 1902, Grayson Co, VA)
m. Jan 24, 1861, Thursa Perkins in Grayson Co, VA
- Troy M. Roberts
wife Rachael Eveline Parks
- Cora Melvina Roberts
wife M I Anderson
- Beulah Anderson Long
- Jim Long, Santa Barbara, CA
- C. Byrcus Roberts (b. 1844, Grayson Co, VA)
- D. Elvira Roberts (b. 1848, Grayson Co, VA)
- E. Jarvice Roberts (b. 1850, Grayson Co, VA)
- F. Lucy Roberts (b. 1855, Grayson Co, VA)
- II. John (W?) Roberts (b. Aug 4, 1793, Grayson Co, VA (per family bible, DavLzach@aol.com), m. Aug 10, 1815, d. Nov 19, 1844)
(see below, I have no 'official' proof yet but William is likely
John's father.) John referred to as William's eldest son in William's
will written Feb 28, 1838 (per Shirley Schach).
m. Aug 10, 1815, Elizabeth Betsay Smith Stone (b. Aug 10, 1800 per family bible, d. May 29, 1884.)
Elizabeth later married
Jesse Cornett after John died in 1844 (She was Eliz. Cornett in 1850 census). In 1870 census she was counted in the household of her son Micajah. In the 1880 census she was living with Lucy (her daughter) and Weldon Edwards.
These children by Elizabeth per family bible.
- Ransom M. Roberts (b. Aug 20, 1816, d. Oct 1, 1817)
- Nancy Roberts (b. Feb 17, 1818, d. Sep/Oct 1818)
- Metildah S. Roberts (b. Sep 21, 1819, m. Lorenzo Dow Vaughan)
- Micajah (Cage) Stone Roberts (b. Dec 14, 1821)
- James Roberts (b. Dec 31, 1823)
- Lucy Roberts (b. Aug 7, 1831, m. Weldon Edwards)
- John Roberts, Jr
- III. Jestiana "Jestin" "Justiana" Roberts (b. 15 Mar 1795, d. Apr 21, 1894, Brierpatch Mtn., old Pool Cemetary, Grayson Co, VA)
m. Mar 4, 1819 William Edward Poole (b. c1794, d. Feb 14, 1874, Grayson Co, VA)
- IV. Sarah (Sally) Roberts (b. c1799, Grayson Co, VA, m. Alexander Porter c1827)
- V. James Roberts (b. 1805?, m. Rachel Fields c1830, d. c1865)
- VI. William II (b. 1802, Grayson Co, VA, m. Susanna Wright Oct 30, 1822)
William II had these children:
- Willie Roberts and Mary Belle Riley
- Dollie Pearl Roberts Fogleman
William married Lydia Lewis and had the following other children:
- VII. Isiah Roberts (b. 1810, Grayson Co, VA, moved to Ross Co, OH? per Wythe Co, VA deed book)
- VIII. Fielden Beaux Roberts (b. 1816, Grayson Co, VA, d. c1880, Chambers Co, AL)
- IX. Jane America Roberts (b. 1819)
- X. Zachariah C. Roberts (b. 1824? per 1860 GCC, d. Jun 25, 1860, Grayson Co, VA)
- XI. Jacob Roberts
- XII. Phoebe D. Roberts (b. 1826, Grayson Co, VA)
- XIII. Eliza Ann Roberts (b. 1828, Grayson Co, VA, m. Eldridge Hall Jan 10, 1846)
Went to Jefferson Co, Missouri?
More details starting with John Roberts.
- John Roberts (b. Aug 4, 1793, m. Aug 10, 1815,
Elizabeth Stone per family bible)
m. 1815 Elizabeth "Betsay" Smith Stone (b. Aug 10, 1800, per Roberts family bible, d. May 29, 1884, Grayson Co, VA) Parents were Micajah Stone and Nancy Hale.
- Ransom M. Roberts (b. Aug 20, 1816, d. Oct 1, 1817)
- Nancy Roberts (b. Feb 17, 1818, d. Sep/Oct 1818)
- Metildah S. Roberts (b. Sep 21, 1819)
m. Lorenzo Dow Vaughan
- James Roberts (b. Dec 31, 1823)
m. Martha (b. 1820, Grayson Co, VA)
- Lucy Roberts (b. Aug 7, 1831)
- John Roberts, Jr
- Micajah Stone Roberts (b. Dec 14, 1821, VA; d. Apr 16, 1909, Grayson
m. 1842 Olive (Olly) J. Vaughan (1st wife) (b. c1826, m. Jun 30, 1842)
Olive's father was Rev. John Vaughan (His son John Vaughan Jr (b. 1817)). John Vaughn married Ruth Hanks (b. 1824, Oct 28, Carrol Co, VA, first cousin to Nancy Hanks Lincoln, Abe Lincoln's mom.)
- Mary "Polly" Ann Roberts (b. Apr 10, 1844 per Roberts bible, VA, m. 1885, VA, Steve Gillman, moved to Joplin, MO, d. Joplin, Missouri (Jasper or Newton Co?)) Children were Olly E. Gillman, Onea Lee Gillman, Cora Gillman, Walter D. Gillman, Charles Gillman.
- John V. Roberts (b. 1846, May 25 , d. 1862, Sept 4) Note: died age 16, never married.
- Margaret I. Roberts (b. Sep 17, 1848, m. Crockett Hines, d. Jan 8, 1937) Children were William, Walter, Charlie, Jennie, Sallie, Ollie, (and Callie, who died early in life.)
- Evelina H. Roberts (b. 1850 per GC census, Grayson Co, VA) Per Roberts bible: b Feb 21 1850; d Jan 25 1903. Married to Friel Hines, their children were Emory Hines and Dora Hines.
m. 1858 Elzira Brewer (2nd wife) (b. Jun 28, 1838, VA; m. Jan 10,
1858, VA; d. May 11, 1916, Grayson Co, VA)
Elzira's parents were Samuel E. Brewer (b. Feb 10, 1796,
Grayson Co, VA; m. Sep 22, 1815, Grayson Co, VA; d. Jun 16, 1880,
Grayson Co, VA)(a Methodist pastor) and Elizabeth Bedwell (b.
~1804, VA; m. 1853, VA)
- James Leftwich Roberts (b Feb 28 1859; d July 22 1929: married Sarah (Aunt
Sis) Vaughan) They had one son, Claude Maiden Roberts. Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach.
- Elisha G. Roberts (b. Mar 6, 1860, Grayson Co, VA, m. Nov 7, 1878, Sarah Wampler (dau of A C and H Wampler)) Per Roberts bible: Aug 9 1898: Married Katy Wampler. Their children were Maude, Flora, Fannie, Mallie, Nonnie, Pyott and
- Olive ("Olly" or "Betty") Elizabeth Roberts (b Sept 12 1861; d July 3 1898. Marr. to Churchill/Churchwell Oglesbye Wright) Their children were Onnie Wright, Kyle Wright, Estil Wright and Bruce Wright. Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach. Contact Richard Kellogg at
- Melville Winton Roberts (b. April 2 1863; d Dec 7 1899. Never married.) Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach.
- Nancy (Nannie) Mae Roberts (b. b May 25 1865; d Dec 12 1950. Marr.
to A.L. (Leff) Smith) Their children were Mallie, Ruth, Donna and Reid. Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach.
- Robert V. (Vaughn?) Roberts (b Feb 19 1871; d May 25 1885) (note age 14). Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach.
- William I Roberts (b April 28 1875; d April 17 1948.) #1 marriage was
to Minnie Hensley and their children were Verna, Bertha, Clyde Stella
and Edward. #2 Marriage was to Lula Keith (after Minnie died) and their
children were: Buelah, Gaye, Ruby, Margie, Franklin, and Robert. Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach.
- Charles Roby Roberts (b Oct 25 1878; d Aug 17 1948. Married to Maude
Sawyers) Their children were Onnie, Charlie, John Garland, Richard
and Audna. Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach.
- Onnie M. Roberts (b June 10 1880; d June 12 1880) Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach. His mother Elzira seems to have died of complications on Jun 16, 1880.
- Connally Johnson Roberts Sr. (b. Nov 17, 1876, Grayson Co, VA; 1916 lived
Stanton NE; d. Nov 11, 1957, Norfolk, Madison Co, NE) (carpenter)
m. 1898 Susie (Suzette or Sue Etta) Taylor (b. Apr 24, 1879,
Grayson Co, VA; m. Dec 30, 1898; d. Feb 20, 1963, Norfolk, NE)
Susie's parents were Lilborn Taylor and Nellie Frances
- Spring 1915: Connally and Sue went to Stanton, Nebraska to be near the Taylors. Per Shirley Schach.
- Ronzo Raymond Roberts (b. Sep 25, 1899, Grayson Co, VA; d. Oct 24, 1991, Detroit, MI). Ronzo was the oldest child.
m. Dec 11, 1920 Evelyn Matilda Falk (b. Mar 29, 1902, Chadron, Dawes Co, NE; m. Chadron, NE, d. Mar 1947)
Daughter of Andrew Falk and Matilda Johnson of Chadron, NE.
- 1949: Ronzo later married June Shepard (b. Feb 16, 1920; m. Jan, 1949)
All children by Evelyn. (Evelyn's sister was Irene C. Falk-Bell (b. Chadron, NE; d.
1945, Utica, MI)). There was a Will Falk from Tecumseh, NE who was an
uncle of Friedrich Falk (b. 1892, Saline Co, Missouri) A Pelger, NE history book mentions an Ed Falk coming with either Robertses or Taylors to Pelger, NE.
- Robert Dennis Roberts (b. Dec 10, 1942, Utica, MI)
Was in US Army in testing grounds in Utah.
m. Oct 22, 1965 Rosemary Ann Locher (b. Dec 14, 1945, Hazel Park, MI)
Both children by Rosemary. Divorced Aug 22, 1974.
m. Jun 1, 1979: Robert later marries Bev Dyrda (b. Aug 9, 1953)
- Charles Steven Roberts (me) (b. May 5, 1969, Mt. Clemens, MI; m. Aug 7, 1993, Belmont, MI (Kent Co), divorced Nov 24, 2004)
- fall 1979: moved to Roscommon, MI
- 1987: began college at Central Michigan University in Mt. Pleasant. Met Amy there.
- Fall 1990: worked in downtown Detroit at Electronic Data Systems.
- Mar 1991: moved to Grand Rapids, MI to live with Amy.
- Nov 2004: divorce from Amy final.
m. Amy Elizabeth Frye (b. Jul 24, 1970, Kokomo, IN)
- Trevor Matthew Roberts (b. Mar 31, 1996, Grand Rapids, MI (Kent Co))
- Jenifer Lynn Roberts (b. July 4, 1971, Utica, MI; m. Oct 1, 1994)
m. Michael Edmond Faulman (b. Dec 17, 1969; Alma, MI) (father Eugene Dale Faulman, mother Jacqueline Ione Brown)
- Margie Roberts (b. 1938)
Mr. Dennis Paul
- Arlene Roberts (b. 1934)
- Corrine Roberts (b. Jul 3, 1921; d. Sept, 1995)
marries Mr. Jerry Van Epps?
- Jim Roberts (b. Nov 18, 1930; m. Aug 30, 1952)
m. Velma (b. Pennsylvania)
- Lowell Roberts (b. Feb 18, 1925, Chadron, NE; m. May 8, 1948; d. Oct,
1995, Utica, MI) Master Sgt. in army.
m. 1948 Nella Bercich (b. Italy)
- Connally Roberts Jr (b. Jun 19, 1915, Wayne Co, NE, lived Hillsdale, MI; d. May 10, 1982)
- Nell Roberts (b. Feb 14, 1903, Grayson Co, VA, lived Seattle, WA)
m. Aug 15, 1920 Albert Frederick Coney
- Suzetta Yvonne Roberts (b. Feb 26, 1919, Wayne Co, NE, lived Madison, NE)
m. George "Buster" Barr
- Herbert "Bruce" Roberts (b. Aug 19, 1908, Grayson Co, VA; lived
Stanton, NE; d. Dec 2, 1992 (1993?))
m. May 23, 1934 Mary "Juanita" Daniel
- Bonnie Roberts (b. 1937)
m. Fred Smelser (b. 1937)
In Aug 1952, Bonnie, her mother and father and the rest
of the family moved from MI back to NE.
- Dan Roberts (b. Hazel Park, MI)
- Roy Roberts (b. Highland Park, MI)
- Ina Mae Roberts (b. Sep 15, 1907, Grayson Co, VA, d. Jul, 1986, Stanton, NE)
Shirley says: b. Mar 11, 1905, d. Apr 23, 1993
m. Jan 1, 1929 Francis Edward Lee
- Betty Roberts
m. Jim Farquharson
- Reta Corinne Roberts (b. Jan 21, 1902, Grayson Co, VA, m. Mar 19, 1927, 1932 moved to CA, d. Jul 31, 1994, California) (lived Chicago, IL for a brief time)
and Edward Sheridan Southard (b. Mar 17, 1888, Chicago, IL, m. Mar 19, 1927). Had 2 girls (one was Shirley) and two boys.
- Shirley June Southard (b. Dec 9, 1927, m. Mar 3, 1946, Cloverdale, CA, lives in Washington state. below)
m. Karl Schach (b. Apr 4, 1926)
- Edward (Ted) Sheridan Southard (b. St. Paul MN, 30 March 1929;
d. 11 Feb 1982 in Fairbanks Alaska.) (Marr. Carol Redwine 3 July 1950 in
Carson City, Nv.)
- Robert Bruce (R.B.) Southard (b. 19 Aug 1930 in Stanton NE. (marr in
Cloverdale CA. to Marlys Johnson on 28 June 1952))
- Carol Sue Southard (b. 25 Dec 1933 in Santa Rosa CA; Marr to Frank Jay
Clark 20 June 1959 in Glen Ellen Ca)
m. 1936 Harry Peterson (2nd marriage, m. Jul 6, 1936, Stockton, CA). Had 4 children with Reta.
- Fred J. Petersen (b. 19 Mar 1937 in Covelo Ca; marr in Cloverdale CA.
23 Sept 1956 to Sharon Wilmot)
- Harry Eugene Petersen (b. 10 Mar 1939; no marr.)
- Barbara Wilhelmena Petersen (b. 18 May 1941 in Ukiah Ca; marr.1 July
1961 in Santa Rosa CA to Kennith Warburton)
- Kaye Gretchen Petersen (b. 15 Jan 1943 in Healdsburg Ca. Married in
Glen Ellen CA 9 Sept 1960 to John Flachman)
Olive ("Olly" or "Betty") Elizabeth Roberts (b Sept 12 1861; d July 3 1898. Marr. to Churchill/Churchwell Oglesbye Wright)
Per Roberts bible via Shirley Schach at below. Contact Richard Kellogg at
- Onnie Carless Wright (b. Jan 14, 1889, Grayson Co, VA, m. Wilhelmina Patton (b. 1886, Marion Co., TN)) Methodist minister.
- Mary Carless Wright
- Richard Lee Wright Sr. (d. 1952) He was a Commander in the Navy, a fighter pilot, who was killed in action in 1952.
- Richard Kyle Wright. Mayor of Fries, VA for 20 years.
- Estil Wright. Moved to Oregon.
- David Bruce Wright. Methodist minister.
NOTE: The order of the children is not the order they were born yet. I
am looking for more information about all of the above families,
especially about John Roberts, possible son of William and John's siblings.
Non-Roberts names are in bold, to show other family lines.
Parts which don't fit.
- 1829: Jonathan married Susan Carrico (m. Mar 10, 1829, Grayson Co, VA)
- Greene Co, TN 1850 census says: John Roberts (b. 1790, NC) married Rebecca Shinault. He used to live in Grayson Co, VA.
John W. Roberts m. Bency Shinault per book by Earl Roberts and JimLo93103@aol.com.
John married Susan Campbell married John Roberts in 1770 (per Yates file)
John married Lucy Flourney (b. 1788, VA) married John Thomas B. Roberts (b. 1807, VA) in 1871, VA (per Yates file)
John is middle child of Mary Elizabeth Davis. (see below, I have
no 'official' proof yet but William is likely John's father.)
John possibly went to Clark Co, TN per Grayson Co, VA merchant collection list.
- Francis (Frank) Roberts (1828 - ?) (TN)
wife Winnie (Last Name Unknown) (TN)
- Samuel Houston Roberts (1851 - ?)(Humphreys County, TN)
wife Rosetta Pruett (Humphreys County, TN)
- James Boyd Roberts (? - 1929?)(Humphreys County, TN)
wife Lillian Izola Teas (Humphreys County, TN)
- William Cayce Roberts (1914-1992) (Hurricane Mills, TN)
wife Margie Jackson Roberts (1920-1983)(Carruthersville, MO)
Elk Creek, Grayson Co, VA is where my grandfather, Ronzo Roberts, was born, and where many Robertses settled.
Much of this research was done by Shirley Schach, of Washington state and Donna Smith Shupe, and Chuck Roberts of Ada, MI.
Cousins I have found on the net:
This page hosted by
Get your own Free Home Page