Why was this web site established?
My name is Henry Sheppard and I have constructed the Recovering from Spiritual Abuse web site for three reasons:
ONE: Therapy |
This is a therapeutic exercise. After suffering years of spiritual abuse*, this exercise has played a major role in my personal recovery program.
*According to David Johnson & Jeff VanVonderen, the authors of The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse — Recognizing and Escaping Spiritual Manipulation and False Spiritual Authority Within the Church (1991, Bethany House Publishers, Minneapolis, Minnesota) spiritual abuse is said to occur “when someone is treated in a way that damages them spiritually”.
For example:Part of Johnson and VanVonderen’s advice for dealing with spiritual abuse is for the victims to “keep telling the truth”. Which leads to the second reason for the existence of this page.
TWO: Encouraging Others
THREE: A Contact Point
Now that we have completed the introduction, you can begin
exploring the site.
1. My introduction to Spiritual Abuse:|
— The (Australian) AOG Insurance Agency Scandal.
2. Exploring Spiritual Abuse.
3. Order your own copy of "The Evidence" (5th edition).
4. Make your mark in The Visitors Book.
5. Read some (helpful) Comments by Visitors.
6. You might like to visit some Related Internet Sites.
7. If you are associated with the Australian AOG, you might like to read the sentence that Fred Evans has requested I remove from the site. (The sentence is true, but he finds it embarrassing that people know about it.)
8. Why not just forgive them and forget about it?
9. A response to the AOG Response.
You are visitor No.
Last update: 16 October 1999