PICTURE GALLERY OF BOTTELARE CHURCH

First Part





GO TO:

Bottelare Church Second Part

Bottelare Saint-Anne Statue
Bottelare Carmelite Convent

Bottelare Vase

Homepage

Cities and towns

Town of Merelbeke


View full size image


The village of Bottelare is part of the Town of Merelbeke (Belgium).

During the Ancien Regime, the Saint Peter Abbey (Sint-Pieters-Abdij) in the City of Gent (Ghent) held the patronage of the church of Bottelare. This church was originally dedicated to Saint Martin.

During the 17th century, Bottelare became a famous place for pelgrimages to Saint Anne. Though Bottelare had a population of only 300 inhabitants, a new gorgeous hall church with one nave and two aisles, dedicated to Saint Anne, was built during 1641-63. Much attention went to the window-frames. The west tower was made in sand stone from Balegem. In 1873, the highest part of the tower was renewed according to a plan of architect Bureau. Above the choir, a rare consecration bell tower was installed.








The crown post of the wooden door is decorated with baroque motives. Portraits of Saint Anne and patron saint Saint Martin are carved between the motives.








In the round arch niche above the door, richly decorated with a typical Renaissance shell and flanking volutes, a Saint Anne sculpture can be seen.





Source: Koenraad DE WOLF, Architectuurgids Zuid-Oost-Vlaanderen. Barok, Rococo & Classicisme (1625-1800), 1998, pp. 76-78 and p. 127. English translation: Architectural Guide of South-East-Flanders. Baroque, Rococo & Classicism (1625-1800).

Next Page


1