Saint-Apollonia in Elst
Geutelingen Festivity in Elst
Oven Museum in Elst
Cities and Towns of South-East-Flanders
SITES IN DUTCH:
ELST is one of the villages belonging to the Town of Brakel in South-East-Flanders (Belgium). The oldest document mentioning Elst dates back to the year 977. Elst is located on a ridge between the river Zwalm and the Perlinck brook. The Perlinck Mill in Elst is one of the oldest of Belgium. It was already mentioned in a document of 868. The mill continued working till 1974.
The Saint-Apollonia Church is located at a height of 96 meter. Its patronage belonged to the Saint-Hermes Capittel of Ronse. The Abbey of Ename, too, had some property in the Parish of Elst. The parish was spared from destruction in the religous trouble year 1566. From 1600 till 1621, the nave, straw roof, and tower of the church were repaired. In 1778, the church was completely rebuilt and Saint-Apollonia replaced the Virgin Mary as patron saint.
Regionaal Landschap Vlaamse Ardennen
Elst became a popular place of pilgrimage. Saint-Apollonia was venerated for easing toothache. The Elst villagers sold "geutelingen", a typical kind of thick but soft oven pancakes, to the pilgrims. Geutelingen are still produced in February, resulting in Elst being known as the Geutelingen village. Every year, a Geutelingen Festivity is organized on the first Sunday following February 9, the saint's day of Saint-Apollonia.
Regionaal Landschap Vlaamse Ardennen,
Elst (in Dutch)