|Mary McGettigan-Gatens was the daughter of Patrick Gatens. She was Born October 30, 1839 in Ireland and died January 19, 1922 in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon and is buried at Riverview Cemetery, Portland, Oregon Mausoleum #329, Section 109. In 1861 she married Joseph Dennis Cremen who was born in County Cork, Ireland in 1827. He died August 17, 1862 in Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon and is buried at Riverview Cemetery, Portland, Oregon in the same section as Mary.
Mary Gatens was listed in the 1860 Oregon census as, Mary Gatings, age 23, living with Dr. and Mrs. R.B. Wilson, Portland, Oregon.
Mary Cremen left a will, written November 18, 1919, Portland, OR Estate #20480 Heirs:
James Gatens over 21 Newport, Lincoln Co., OR
Susan Griffin over 21 St. John, New Brunswick, Canada
William N. Gatens over 21 Portland, OR
Bessie A. Gatens over 21 Portland, OR
Funeral expenses to be paid.
1. $500.00 held in trust to Saving & Trust, used for the upkeep and repair of a certain mausoleum owned by me. And known as the "Cremen Mausoleum" situated in Riverview Cemetery, Portland. Money to be used just for the upkeep.
2. For the services rendered, Judge William N. Gatens, property (5) & (6) being my dwelling, also $20,000.00 if he dies before my death I devise and bequeath to the heirs of Judge N. Gatens.
3. I devise and bequeath to John F. OShea, my executor, all my property, both real and personal.
4. My money to be used as follows:
1. $20,000.00 to Judge Gatens
2. Susan Griffin, a daughter of Ann Gatens Griffin deceased, of St. John, New Brunswick the sum of
$2,000.00 or her heirs.
3. James Gatens, of Newport, Oregon the sum of $2,000 or his heirs.
4. Bessie A. Gatens, of Portland, Oregon the sum of $5.00
5. William N. Gatens, of Portland the sum of $5,000.00 to be held in trust by him, and the income, there
from to be used by him in taking care of the grave of his father, Mr. Frank Gatens, buried in Cavalary
Cemetery, Portland, Oregon.
6. Alexander Christie, Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church of Portland, Oregon the sum of $1,000.00.
7. Rev. E.V. OHara, of the Catholic Parish, Portland, Oregon $500.00
8. Rev. W.B. Cronin, of Laurelhurst Parish, Portland, Oregon $500.00
9. Rev. A.G. DeLorimier, of the Catholic Parish, Portland, Oregon $500.00.
10. Rev. H.J. McDevett, of Marshfield, Oregon $500.00.
11. Sisters of Charity of the House of Providence of St. Vincents Hospital the sum of $1,000; to be used
corporatoin for the establishment of (3) beds (1) cot. In St Vincents Hospital for indigent and
aged priests of this parish; (1) bed, for indigent men. (1) bed, for indigent women of Portland,
Oregon of any denomination or creed, and to be known respectivly as (Clergymens and mens bed)
"Joseph D. Cremen Bed" (Womens bed) "Mary McGettigan Cremen Bed" and the (Childrens Cot)
therein to be known as the "Cremen Cot".
12. To the Anderson Industrial Home at Beaverton, Oregon $1,000.00.
13. To the Sisters of Mercy for the Home of the Aged, at Sunnyside, Oregon $1,000.00.
14. To the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, of Portland, near Irvington $500.00.
15. To the Christian Brothers of Portland, Oregon, for the education of a boy, the sum of $3,000.00
said boy to be educated by said Christian Brothers out of said fund, to be named "William N. Gatens."
16. To the Society of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, of Portland, Oregon, $5,000.00 for a
a perpetual scholarship for the education of a young girl, to be known as the "Cremen Scholarship" said
girl, who is to receive the benefit of this scholarship, to be named by William N. Gatens.
17. To the Congregation of the Sacred Cross or Holy Cross of Columbia University $2,000.00 for the
perpetual scholarship for the education of a young girl, to be known as the "Cremen Scholarship"
said girl, who is to receive the benefit of this scholarship to be named by William N. Gatens.
19. To the Sisters of Presentation, known as the Exiled French Sisters at present on the grounds at
Columbia University, Portland, Oregon $1,000.00.
20. To Mina Gatens, wife of William N. Gatens the sum of $1,000.00.
21. To William N. Gatens, all the rest of my property after paying my foregoing bequeaths.
5. I nominate and appoint, John F. OShea, Portland, Oregon my executor of my last will and testement.
Real Property of Lots (2) and (63) valued at $90,000.00
Real Property of Lots (5), (6), (270) valued at $12,000.00
There was a lot of rental money coming in each month.
Total appraised value of Estate......$102,924.15
Bessie A. Gatens refused to accept the $5.00.
Christian Brothers refused to accept or carry out the education for a boy, they paid the amount to William N. Gatens, who was to find a boy.