-- We teach in schools
-- We serve
-- in the parishes
-- in medical missions
-- in seminaries
-- in remote villages
-- within the convent walls
leading a simple way of life
In 1953, Father Gerardo Z. Filippeto, OFM, a
missionary in the Northeastern region of the Philippines, was inspired by the Lord to
found an institute of women as auxiliary to his work of evangelization and preservation of
the Faith in a vast area deprived of priests. The members are to live the spirit of
Saint Francis of Assisi and follow the examples of the Blessed Virgin Mary
in her service to Jesus and the Apostles. For
this reason, it is right that the religious family be called the Franciscan Apostolic
Sisters (FAS). It was founded in the spirit of the Third Order Regular of Saint
Francis, dedicated to a life of prayer, penance, and apostolate. On December 8,
1964, Bishop Teodulfo D.D., of the Diocese of Tugegarao granted its Diocesan Approval.
On May 18, 1996, Archbishop Diosdado A. Talamayan, after having received a
favorable consent and approval from the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life
and Societies of Apostolic Life, issued the Final Decree of its Canonical Erection as a
Religious Institute of Diocesan Right.
We live in community; sharing
one vision, sharing our joys as well as our sorrows, our ideals, our faith and
vocation..the little Marys of the twentieth (and now the twenty-first!!) century.
Do you wish to learn more about
the FAS? Join us? Help us build a hospital in the Philippines? Visit the pages in our website to learn more
about the FAS, its aims, spirit, projects, vocations, and links to other sites. Visit our Photo Gallery and see photographs portraying some of the
activities of the Franciscan Apostolic Sisters.