|The Establishment of the Town of Danvers, Massachusetts Page 3 - Naming the Town of Danvers|
Previous to 1754 the parts of our town which to-day are called Danvers Centre, Tapleyville, Hathorne, Putnamville (in early days, Blind Hole) were known. I desire now to speak concerning that part called in early days Skelton's Neck, afterwards Porter's Neck, later New Mills, and now Danversport. This neck of land was not much settled before 1754, although the land had owners from the earliest settlement. In this year, Archelaus Putnam establishes mills on Crane River, near what is now the Lummus Mill. He was among the first to build here a home, and in company with others he built two gristmills; afterwards, a wheat mill and sawmill were built. It proved to be a good mill privilege, and the name of New Mills was given to the place, I have no doubt, to distinguish them from the mills then in existence situated near where Mr. Otis F. Putnam's mills now stand, on Sylvan Street, which mills had then been erected fifty years' Soon after the coming of said Archelaus, the owners of the Neck land desire a way from what is now Danvers Square through the Neck to the New Mills, over what is now our High and Water streets, and a private way is laid out, the owners to have leave to set up gates across the same. There had been a proprietors' way since 1732, or earlier, and this new road was undoubtedly a broadening out of the old way of the early owners. Soon this village begins to grow by the accession of new settlers and the building of new homes.
Town of Danvers
For five years the people had lived in a District, when in 1757 they became anxious to become a town, and thus secure representation in the General Court. June 9, 1757, the House of Representatives passed the bill making Danvers a town. The bill coming before the Council, Thomas Hutchinson, a member, asks permission to enter his objections, presumably in behalf of the king, knowing that it was his wish that no more towns should be created, for that would insure more representatives. Hutchinson offered his objections, but in spite of the same, a week later, June 16, 1757, these words were placed upon the bill: “By his Majesty's Council we consent to the enacting of this bill.” Then followed the signatures of fifteen members of the Council. Thus were we made a town. At that time there was no governor or lieutenant-governor. According to the law this bill was later taken to England for rejection or approval, and in August, 1759, in Kensington Palace, it was disallowed, owing to the fact that the Board of Trade reported to the Lords of the Privy Council that this Act should receive his Majesty's disapproval, and so the King, George II, accepted the report and decided that he was unwilling Danvers should become a town and thus decreed. Hence the significance of the motto on our town seal, “The King Unwilling.” [Danvers ignores the decree.] As to the name Danvers, various suggestions have been made, but as Danvers is a name of an old English family, in all probability the name came from that source.
The Celebration of the One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of the Establishment of the Town of Danvers, Massachusetts, as a Separate Municipality. June 15, 16, 17, 1902
Printed by vote of the Town 1907
Historical Address pp. 118-123
Burke's Peerage and Baronetage Sir John Burke, Esq 1980
p. 2052 we find the statement: "Sir Danvers Osborn 3rd Bt., after whom Danvers, Mass., USA is called."
|Page 4 of 4
Sir Danvers Osborn
|Other Danvers family related pages.|
|Danvers, Massachusetts http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=2919|
|Events in Danvers, MA history Salem news The Salem Witch Trials|
|Page created 22 Oct 2004 Updated 20 Apr 2006 (C) Gary Danvers New Zealand Music: Massachusetts - BGs|
|[ Click here to enquire about items on this page ]|