British self-propelled gun. Development of the Abbot began in the mid-1950's with the acceptance of 105-mm as the standard NATO calibre for close support guns. The chassis was based on the FV 432 APC design which was being developed concurrently. The first prototypes were built in 1961, testing began in the following year, and it was formally approved for issue in 1965.
One notable feature is the gun's ability to fire the standard US and NATO 105-mm shells, using a special cartridge. Maximum range with the high-explosive shell is 18,300 m and 38 complete rounds can be carried inside the turret for ready use. The normal rate of fire is six rounds per minute, but this can be doubled for short periods.
|Engine:||Rolls Royce K60 diesel 6 Cyl/12 Piston-VO 248 hp|
|Verticle Obstacle Climb:||24 in|
|Maximum Width Ditch:||6'9"|
|Fording Depth:||24 in|
|Forward Speed:||30 mph|
|Main Gun||105mm Artillery|
|Commander's Machine Gun||7.62 mm|
Our Abbot Arriving to the Museum on the Truck, Complete with a Spare Power-Pack on the Back Deck