Wayne County Townships/Communities that no Longer Exist
Many residents of Wayne County created their own small communities within the boundaries of another township or city. Most were named from prominent family members in the area, or named for the Post Office or RailRoad Depot in their area. Some of these communities have lived on for many years, while others, you may not have ever heard of before. If a ancestor of yours stated that he was from a township or community that no longer exists, it is likely listed below, and may have not ever been a township at all, but a small subdivision within a township that is still in existence today.
BACON: A station on the Lakeshore and Michigan Southern Rail Road, in Ecorse. Incorporated as a village in 1900. Storekeeper, Herman G. Turske was named first Post Master on October 21, 1901, it was renamed BACON, after a prominent family in the area. Annexed: by City of Wyandotte in 1905. Post Office closed April 3, 1906.
BEECH: First known as Fishers, named for Albert Fisher, who ran a general store. The first saw mill was operated by Dunning, Fisher & Rhode, with the first Rail Road depot being named, Fisher's Station.. The Post Office here was named Beech on December 4, 1871 and Albert Fisher was the first Post Master. This Redford Township, village was platted in January of 1872. The Post Office was in operation until September 17, 1906. Absorbed : by City of Detroit.
(Belgrade) Delray: first platted and recorded as Belgrade September 10, 1836. It was re-platted and named Delray on October 14, 1851. Incorporated as a village in 1897. Annexed: by the City of Detroit in 1906. Augustus D. Burdeno, a pioneer resident and solider of the Mexican War, enlisted townspeople to rename Delray after a Mexican Village Del Rey, later Americanized as Delray about 1896.
BELL BRANCH: also called Redford Center from its location in Redford. Charles A. Pierce, was the first Post Master here on June 6, 1877, its office closed February 27, 1907. Absorbed: by City of Redford, then by City of Detroit.
BORODINO: A Post Office. First Post Master here was Roswell Root June 29, 1826. It's office was closed April 4, 1855, but was restored with Henry B. Root as Post Master March 12, 1856. In Operation until June 20, 1863.
BRIGHTMOOR: in 1921, B.E. Taylor bought 160 acres of land on Grand River Avenue, one mile from Detroit. He opened Brightmoor Subdivision in 1922. The village grew quickly with an additional 2,913 acres added from 1923 to 1924. The Village was Annexed: by the City of Detroit in 1926.
BRYAR HILL: reference to this area was a depot on the Chicago & Canada Southern Rail Road in Brownstown Township in 1874.
BUCKLIN: named for Timothy Bucklin the first Post Master here on January 8, 1833. It was renamed Centre Port with Abel Perrin Post Master on February 1, 1838. Closed March 14, 1838 and restored February 17, 1841 Post Master was Andrew L. Stevens. Closed permanently December 3, 1845.
CASSANDRA: A Detroit Judge, Benjamin F.H. Witherell, platted this village March 9, 1836, and was named after his 3rd wife, Cassandra Brady Witherell, sometimes misspelled CASSANDIA. It was located within Greenfield Township along Woodward Avenue North of Detroit. Now covered by Highland Park.
CHANDLER: a depot station on the LakeShore and Michigan Southern Rail Road in Brownstown Township in 1882.
CHAUVIN: a small village one mile east of Detroit in Grosse Pointe. Its first Post Master was Peter Defer, appointed August 21, 1897. It was in operation until April 30, 1908. Absorbed: by Detroit, now Hilger Avenue.
CHELSEA: A Post Office with, Jedeiah Hunt serving as its first Post Master March 16, 1835. It was closed in September of that same year.
CHERRY HILL: this hamlet was erected in Canton Township in 1835. It was given its own Post Office May 22, 1867 with Abner Hitchcock serving as Post Master. It was closed November 1, 1867, and restored February 5, 1897. It closed permanently September 15, 1908. Absorbed by Canton Township.
CONNER'S CREEK: this area was first called Trembles' Creek for Gazet Tremble whose sister, Therese, married Richard Conner, whom it was later renamed for in 1832. Located 20 miles south of Macomb County, it was platted September 13, 1853. Thomas McMannon served as first Post Master on November 20, 1855. The Post Office was closed April 26, 1856, and restored November 15, 1856 with Post Master, J.B. Gravier. The Post Office closed again July 20, 1857 and restored and renamed Greiner November 4, 1893. It was then renamed again, Conner's Creek September 15, 1899, until it closed permanently March 30, 1907. The location is now Gratiot Avenue near City Air Port.
DALTON'S CORNERS: An old reference to North Detroit.
DENTON: The area located adjacent to the station depot which was opened by Michigan Central Rail Road in 1864. Landowner, Samuel T. Denton platted the village in 1866. The South Plymouth Post Office, opened April 22, 1830 with Timothy F. Sheldon as its first Post Master. It was changed to Denton February 28, 1870 and operated until October 14, 1933.
DETROIT JUNCTION: An old reference to West Detroit.
DuBOISVILLE: named for James DuBois, who platted the village on his land in Redford Township in 1878. Absorbed : by Redford Township in 1925.
EAST NANKIN: A sawmill settlement in Eastern Nankin Township. The General Store keeper Frances Stringer, was First Post Master here, October 1, 1857. It was closed January 9, 1858.
ELLISVILLE: a hamlet in Sumpter Township 6 miles West of Waltz Township in 1878.
ELMWOOD: this Detroit Lansing & Northern Rail Road Depot in Livonia was called, McKinney's Station, the Post Office was named, Elmwood. Henry Battenburg was elected First Post Master June 30, 1858. It was in operation until September 17, 1906. Absorbed by Livonia Township.
ELOISE: considered a village within Nankin Township, had its own Post Office opened July 9, 1894. It was comprised of 435 acres of land. Now the location of Wayne County Building in Westland.
FIVE POINTS: A rural Post Office in Redford Township on Five Points Road between 6 and 7 Mile Roads. It operated until 1918.
FORD CITY: named for John B. Ford, President of Michigan Alkali Company. It was incorporated as a village in 1902. Later merged with Wyandotte in 1922.
FORD REPUBLIC: a training school for delinquent boys establisted in 1907 by Mrs. Agnes d'Arcambal.
FORDSON: An old reference to Springwells Township.
FORT SHELBY: In 1814 Fort Detroit was renamed, Fort Shelby in honor of Governor Isaac Shelby. It was occupied until 1826 when it was razed.
FORT WAYNE: originally housed the French in 1770, then the British. Two farmers sold this property to the governemnt in 1843 and renamed it Fort Wayne. It was occupied with Army supplies through July 1, 1965. Now a Historical Museum.
FRENCH LANDING: a depot station on the Wabash Rail Road southwest of Van Buren Township. The first Post Master here was Stephen E. Wilson on February 25, 1896.
FRITZ CORNERS: a settlement in Taylor Township 4 miles southwest of Dearborn in 1880.
GILTEDGE: A post office located in Livonia Township, who's first Post Master, elect, was Asa B. Smith, November 19, 1898. Smith, however declined the position, and it was given to Frank E. Bradley on February 10, 1899. It was in operation until July 31, 1902. Absorbed by Livonia Township.
GLENWOOD: A depot station on LakeShore and Michigan Southern Rail Road in Ecorse. Incorporated as a village in 1900. The storekeeper, Torske became its first Post Master October 21, 1901. Annexed: by Wyandotte in 1905.
GRAND PORT: Old name referring to Ecorse Township.
GREENFIELD TOWNSHIP: the Township was incorporated in 1833, and was settled by John Strong in 1826. By 1842 a group of immigrants from near Cublenz, Germany, named the area, Greenfield. John Kennedy was its first Post Master December 8, 1837. The post office was closed Octber 12, 1838, restored June 30, 1839, closed January 30, 1841. It was reopened December 15, 1841 and closed again May 23, 1842. A post office was again opened September 23, 1852, and closed April 4, 1857. The village was platted February 17, 1872, and in 1875 Greenfield was listed as both a village and a township. In 1926 it was Annexed: by the City of Detroit.
HAND: a depot station, known as Hand Station on the Wabash Rail Road named for RailRoad agent, S.S. Hand. The first Post Master was Charles Purdy, October 10, 1882. He was succeeded by George Lapham. Its location was 12 mile southwest of Detroit, in Northern Taylor Township.
HICKOX: this was a log cabin meeting house on the Huron Circuit of Protestant Preacher Rev. Joseph Hickox in 1828. It was later known as Wallace Place.
HOFFMAN: a hamlet 3 miles west of Wayne in Canton Townshipsettled in 1880.
HOWLETT: a depot station on theDetroit Northwester Electric RailWay in Greenfield Township 5 miles from Detroit. It was named for storekeeper, James Howlett who became its first Post Master July 26, 1899.
ISLE AUX COCHONS: a named that referred to Belle Island.
KRAFT: a named that referred to Hamtramck Township.
LEESVILLE: English born John Cooper and his wife, Ester (Aspinwall) Cooper settled here in 1853. He opeend a brickyard on his farm in 1854, and supplied much of the material for building the early village. Thomas S. Scott was elected first Post Master May 2, 1872. The Post Office closed January 4, 1876 and was restroed August 2, 1876. Its final closing occured April 8, 1896. Absorbed : by Detroit, is present day, Gratiot and Conner area..
LEGRAPH: a Substation of the Dearborn Post Office named for its location on Lehigh and Telegraph Roads.
LOCHMOOR: former named used referring to Grosse Pointe Woods.
MANCHESTER PARK: Old reference to Harper Woods.
MARTINSVILLE: After the township of Van Buren was created in 1835, this small community emerged about 1840. Stephen Randall, was the first Post Master here April 7, 1868. It remained open until September 16, 1906. Absorbed by Van Buren Township.
MEAD'S MILL: Located between Plymouth and Northville, this mill was built by brothers, Amos & Jabesh Mead. The Post Office was established September 10, 1850 and was open until February 20, 1884. The Mill burned twice, and was not re-established after the second accident.
MICHIGAN CITY: Old reference to Rawsonville.
NANKINS MILLS: The first land purchased here was by Dennison Palmer in 1818. The first settlers were actually, Marenus Harrison and his family, in 1825. The Post Office was originally named Lima with its first Post Master, Henry Wells in 1829. The Post Office was re-named April 2, 1830 to Nankin Mills, for the first mill built here by Noah Hull in 1835.
NAVARRE: A salt block village on the Rouge River in Ecorse named for early French settler, Robert Navarre. William Wiegest, was elected first Post Master December 11, 1899. It was incorporated as a village in 1910, and re-named Oakwood November 25, 1918. The Post Office closed December 31, 1918, and was Annexed: by the City of Detroit in 1922.
NEWBERRY: The first Post Master elected here was George S. Comer who named the settlement, Newberry for industrialist, Truman H. Newberry. It was closed March 15, 1882.
NEWBURG: named after the city in which, Anthony Paddack, emigrated from in New York. The first Post Master was merchant, Asa G. Johns in 1918. The Post office was in operation until 1882, and was absorbed by Livonia Township.
NORRIS: Old reference to North Detroit.
OAK: A depot station on the Detroit Grand Rapids and Western Rail Road, 12 miles Northwest of Detroit, in Redford. The first Post Master was Salem T. Philips on June 20, 1858. It was in operation until September 11, 1906, and absorbed by the City of Detroit.
PAYE: a depot station on the electric Detroit United Railway in Grosse Pointe, 8 miles from Detroit, in operation since 1908. The first Post Master here was Horace E. Paye, for whom the community was named. It was open until March 31, 1914.
PERRINSVILLE: First settled by Thomas Dickerson in 1831. Brother, Abraham and Isaac Perrin built a sawmill here in 1832. They plated the village in 1834. James A. Peck was elected first Post Master on October 11, 1861. The name was changed to Pikes Peak December 21, 1882, and was in operation until August 30, 1902.
PHOENIX: a small settlement in Northville that began with a dam and mill in the 1830's. Plated as Phoenix Mill, by J.A. Ausutin on January 19, 1857. Now is the location of a man-made lake, and the Ford Plant.
PRESTON: a depot station on the Wabash Rail Road named for David Preston a banker and landowner. The first Post office was established March 6, 1899 with Post Master, Albert Bull and was in operation until September 17, 1906.
PULLEN'S CORNERS: The first settler here was Samuel Payne in 1787. Jenks Pullen and his six sons came here from New York in 1831. They named the area, Pullen's Corners. It was absorbed by Romulus shortly after it was organized in 1835.
RAWSONVILLE: A village on the Wayne Washtenaw border. First settled by Henry Snow about 1800; and was there after referred to as Snow's Landing. Ambline Rawson arrived here in 1825. A village was platted as Michigan City, by Mathew Woods, Amasha Rawson and Abraham Voorhies, July 1, 1836. The Post Office was named, Rawsonville November 14, 1838 and closed Octobe 25, 1895. It was later restored, but closed permenantly February 28, 1902.
RIVERSIDE: was incorporated as a village within Springwells Township in 1872. It was Annexed by the City of Detroit in 1886.
ROSEDALE GARDENS: a small residential community on Michigan Avenue, 13 miles west of Detroit, founded in 1930. It is now location of Wayne, Michigan.
SAINT ANTHONY: The St Anthony Catholic Church was founded in 1857 and the community of German speaking families living nearby, referred to their area, as Saint Antony's. It had a Post Office in operation from February 1, 1875 to November 19, 1875.
SALT WELLS: A depot station on the Wabash Rail Road in Springwells Township. It was located 7 miles Southwest of Detroit and opened in 1882.
SAND HILL: first settled in 1820, and given a depot station on the Detroit Lansing & Northern Rail Road on August 16, 1880. The first Post Master here was John Parks, who changed the name to Willmarth June 5, 1882. The name was almost immediately changed back to Sand Hill on about June 15, 1882. It was later re-named, Redford October 1, 1906. Annexed: by the City of Detroit 1926.
SARGENT: One of the Four original township names, inside of Wayne County. The other three were, St Clair, Hamtramck, and Detroit.
SCHWARZBURG: in 1825 General John Schwarz, of Detroit, built a dam and mill here. Soon a settlement formed, however nearby, Perrinsville took over almost all the inhabitants with it's larger village, and Schwarzburg became extinct.
SECORDS: A flag station on the Michigan Central Rail Road in Canton Township in 1872.
SHELDON: the first settlers here were David Cady and Childs Downer in 1825. The township was erected in 1834, and later became Canton Township.
SHERWELL: A rural Post Office opened June 15, 1899 and named for its first Post Master, Walter S. Sherwell. It stayed open until December 31, 1902.
SHERWOOD: a depot station on the Detroit and Northwestern Electric Rail Way, in Greenfield Township. 3 miles from Detroit, the first Post Master here was Julia E. Watch in 1900.
SIBLEY: a limestone quarry was opened here as early as 1749. By 1823, Solomon Sibley of Detroit, bought the property and developed mining around which, a village grew. The Post Office was opened February 27, 1903, and was incorporated in 1920. Annexed by Trenton in 1929.
SMITHVILLE: a hamlet east of Sumpter. The Post Office as orginally named, Woodville April 12, 1852 and Lucius A Winchester was named first Post Master. It was renamed Smithville January 18, 1858, and changed to Waltz February 19, 1872.
SPRINGWELLS: pioneer settler, Pierre Drouillard sold his land here to Joseph Gaubielle in 1783. With a depot opened in 1837 along the Michigan Central Rail Road a village sprung up. It was officially plated December 11, 1847. The first Post Master here was Samuel Ludlow February 16, 1855. In 1921, it was incorporated as a village, and in 1923, a city. Renamed, Fordson in 1925 it was Annexed by Dearborn in 1928.
STARK: The first Post Master here of this Livonia Township depot station on the Pere Marquette Rail Road, was L.B. Stark. It was in operation until July 31, 1909.
STRATHMOOR: A community in what is now Grand River and Five Mile Road area. There was a post office opened August 5, 1915, which was renamed, Strathmoor on December 23, 1916. Absorbed by City of Detroit..
SWARTZBURG: a settlement between Detroit and Plymouth formed about 1825, and named for tavern-keeper, General Swartz. Absorbed by Plymouth.
SWIFT: a settlement inside of Nankin Township about 1830. The first Post Office was established July 10, 1882 and Edward Lathers was elected Post Master. It was closed September 30, 1902, and absorbed by Nankin.
TONGUISH PLAINS: a Native American settlement in 1825, named for Chief Tonguish, commonly called, Toga. Later, Tonguish was a rural settlement in Nankin and its first Post Master was Lauren T. Blount March 9, 1886. It was closed September 30, 1903 and subdivided until seperated properties through 1957. Nearest location to Old Tonguish Creek.
TRUAGO / TRUAX: names used to refer to Trenton Township.
WALLACEVILLE: a settlement on the Rouge River in Dearborn named for a sawmill owner, John B. Wallace. It's first Post Office was opened October 28, 1862 and ran until July 31, 1901.
WALTZ: first a depot on the Pere Marquette Rail Road, opened in 1872, in now Huron Township. The village was platted and named for Josiah Waltz , the first Post Master elected February 19, 1872. It was in operation until June 23, 1874. Absorbed by Huron Township.
WATERFORD: a village in Northville platted by Dyer Ramsdell March 17, 1837. It did not survive.
WHITEWOOD: a named used to refer to Highland Park
WOODBURY: a named used to refer to Gibralter Township
Yew: a Post Office opened here November 6, 1866 and closed July 31, 1902. The first Post Master was Henry Pierson, and was located on the Town Line Rail Road, inside of Greenfield Township.
Return to Wayne County MALHN Main Page.