George Washington Wright was born 1853 in Letcher County, Kentucky, son of Andrew Jackson and Harriet Adams, grandson of Joel Martin and Susannah (-?-) Wright. George married Harriet Addington, a daughter of William and Nancy (Kilgore) Addington, in 1876 in Letcher County, Kentucky. Harriet died in 1932 and George Washington died in 1936. Both are buried in the Wright Cemetery on John Moore's Branch.Issue: 1. Andrew Jackson Wright 2. Thomas Benton Wright 3. William Wright 4. Armanda Wright 5. Barbara Wright 6. Geneva Wright7. Martha J. Wright 8. Franklin Monroe Wright9. Elizabeth Wright 10. Daniel Boone Wright 11. Florence Wright 12. Booker Wright 13. Clarissa WrightAccording to Phebel Wright, son of Franklin Monroe Wright, George Washington Wright was born, grew up and married in Letcher County, Kentucky. The effects of the Civil War created much turmoil in Letcher County and in 1903 George Washington decided to remove his family from the area. He sent his son, Andrew Jackson (Andy), to the Elkhorn City, Kentucky area (John Moore's Branch) to check out the area for farm land and timber. Andrew was a young man at this time with four small children and he discovered there were large tracks of land in the area with heavy timber on it. When Andrew (Andy) returned to Letcher County and told his father what he had found. George Washington sold his farm in Letcher County for $300.00 and came to John Moore's Branch in 1904, moving his belongings and family with a wagon and a team of horses. He bought a piece of property on John Moore's Branch for 300.00 and later he bought his brother, Lige's (Elijah) property which was situated just above the land he had purchased. "Lige" had bought his land from G.Tom Hawkins who at one time was a state representative, an attorney and a school teacher. At the time George Washington came to John Moore's Branch there were three log buildings on the Creek. He lived in one with his family and later he hired a Mr. Elswick to move his sawmill to John Moore's Branch. Mr. Elswick cut and sawed timber for George Washington for a new home. The house burned many years later after the death of George Washington and his wife and the chimney is still standing (just below the Wright Cemetery). At the same time in 1911 George Washington built a school house for the county on John Moore's Branch from the timber he had cut and sawed. George Washington eventually owned the majority of property on John Moore's Branch, 500 to 600 acres of land.
Contributed by Nell Blumel
Back to Wright Family Matters