Neon, KY was founded in 1913 and was incorporated in August 1916.
It was built as a trading center for the nearby coal camps.
Neon is located along Wright Fork about 1/4 mile above the
junction of Wright Fork and Potter Fork forming Boone Fork. The
original post office was called Chip which was located 1/2 mile
north of the forks of Boone Creek.
In Neon's boom days it had as many as 100 businesses operating
which included 4 restaurants and 7 whiskey stores. On February
27, 1947 a fire destroyed a business block in Neon burning two
grocery stores, court house, jail, two cafes, two department
stores and several apartments above the stores. This block was
rebuilt in 1947 with brick buildings replacing the burnt-out
wooden stores. Another disaster to hit Neon was a flood in 1941.
The water flooded many of the businesses with as much as 4 feet
of water in homes and stores.
Neon had it's own newspaper "The Neon News." It was established
in 1932 and consolidated with "The Mountain Eagle", February 7,
In 1916 a Syrian immigrant and pack-peddler by the name of Surur
Dawahare put up a frame store in Neon which developed into a
chain of stores extending to Lexington, Louisville, Florence,
and Cincinnati. After 71 years of business the first store in
the chain closed its doors in 1987.
Back to Index Page.
This page hosted by
Get your own Free Home Page