Jimmy Nicolas started his musical career at the age of fifteen playing for various bands in a wide variety of musical styles viz. Pop, Latin American, Rock and Jazz. In 1982, he signed a recording contract with David Gresham Records and released his first single "Let's get on with it". The single was playlisted on all local radio stations, and was presented at Midem (an annual music convention held in Cannes) , where it was selected for play listing in the USA and Europe - destined for countries like Germany and Holland. Further evidence of Jimmy's song writing prowess came when he joined a local band, "Feather Control". The band was awarded a recording contract (by DGR) on the strength of a demonstration of the song "Footprints" another Jimmy Nicolas co-composition. The song topped the charts on both Radio 5 and Radio 702 and received extensive airplay on the other major radio stations. The media response culminated in the nomination of the band for two Springbok Radio Sarie awards in the "Best New Song" and "Best Composition" categories. Feather Control enjoyed extensive exposure on national television by virtue of his original music, most of which resulted from the creative song writing talent of Jimmy Nicolas.
* Composed the national corporate theme song for the new South African Post Office. The song , was recorded in both official languages and incorporated into a fifteen minute corporate video used for promotional purposes nationally and internationally.* Commissioned by Philo Pieterse Productions and the Young & Rubicam advertising agency.
* Currently composing music for international television, radio and film productions.
* Composed a television pilot theme song in 13 different international ethnic styles.
* Composed a song for a Portuguese CD called "Pra Voce" which was released locally and internationally.
* Recently co-composed "Can You Believe" a song especially recorded and presented to international film actress Sharon Stone on her wedding day.
South African Post Office -- Ben Rootman, communications manager.
The Tree House Recording Studios -- Fernando Perdigao
Paulette Pierotti--(USA) Dolphin Group International
Philo Pieterse Productions -- John de Kock
Young & Rubicam -- Davey Brown.
JG Productions -- Joseph Gulyas
David Gresham Records.