FLORENCE MUSEUM PHOTOS
This mount, located in the Hall of Villafranchian Mammals, was collected in 1953 in the Upper Valdarno, between San Giovanni and Montevarchi. It belongs to an old male and is smaller than the female version, a skull, also located in the museum. Some more information is provided on the museum website:
"The specimen, nicknamed "Pietro", was discovered during works for the preparation of a vineyard near the Borro al Quercio creek and was recovered by Prof. Azzaroli. It is a nearly complete skeleton of a male, adult and rather old elephant elephant standing 3.65 m at the shoulder, of the weight, when in life, of about 16 tons. The original tusks are placed on the pedestal. To be noticed are the large narial opening in the anterior part of the skull and the development of the dentition of this species, who lived in open, savallah-like spaces. "
© 1997 firstname.lastname@example.org